Saturday, March 21, 2009

Is Autumn really here?

The Prince coerced me into going for a walk with him this morning....it was early but light so I guess it wasn't too early since at this time of year with daylight saving still in force we are getting up in the dark......and we have another few weeks of it yet! IMHO it lasts too long but we won't bother with that debate! LOL.......
Here are a few pics of some autumn colours around the town......................



I love this tree which stands next to the Town Hall......the berries are such a wonderful colour and the tree is loaded with them.........

Some of the trees are losing their leaves due to heat stress and some have died...which is a shame but in drought conditions it is to be expected I guess. The air was still and heavy this morning - there is a change on the way and one can only hope there will be some rain as well.

A street back from the main street is the town's first cemetery - which is the resting place (according to local records) or some 223 people. Only a few headstones remain and the inscriptions are very hard to read.........one of the really sad things is that some families lost several members at the same time - a lot of young children some aged only a few weeks. I am guessing there were outbreaks of disease that swept through the area taking many lives at once.

The information board also tells us that burials cost £1 - in those times that would have been a large sum of money! The cemetery opened in 1847 and was closed in 1869.

The town just stirring when we walked down the main street....the grape harvest is on at the moment and there were workers heading home from their night shifts at the wineries.....the Vintage Festival will be held in a few weeks time......a busy time for the Valley.

Looking forward to a productive weekend...hoping to make some progress on some of the projects waiting in my sewing room.....I received the fabric for the next two Breast of Friends blocks in the post yesterday.....and I have scones to make.....using the scone mix Nanette included in her parcel of goodies!

'Til next time.................Lorraine

20 comments:

Pat said...

The pictures of your town are lovely. Fall is a beautiful time of the year but....I am not quite ready for it yet. It is looking like Spring here. Our snow is almost gone. Tomorrow it is going to be it the 40's F. I hope you find lots of time to sew this weekend.

Anonymous said...

How lovely that you are getting ready for fall... such beautiful pictures! I love spring and fall best... the hope of the new plants and flowers in the spring... and then the ending of the season to cool and comfortable again in the fall :o)

Anne said...

Your autumn pictures are so pretty. Seems so strange that you're going into fall as we're just approaching Spring. I LOVE to walk around cemeteries and try to imagine the lives those people led. Have a great weekend.

Kris said...

Fancy photography Loz! I love the berries and church one. Very artistic. Hey! I can't wait for daylight saving to end either. It just feels wrong having the light at night and not in the morning. No wonder I have trouble getting out of bed!

KC Quilter said...

What beautiful photos! Fall is my very favorite season. Doesn't nature sew the prettiest quilts!!

Anonymous said...

Lorraine....Awesome photos! I'm still finding it weird that you were just complaining about all that hot weather and now Fall is among you and our weather here just turned to Spring and I am finally defrosting! Enjoy your weekend...and the cooling temps.

Stina Blomgren said...

Oh Lorraine...Autumn... feels so strange to see the pictures...when we are getting into spring... and I must say...its not my favourite...think I keep my Spring...:o)
Hope you enjoys the cooler days...

Anonymous said...

Call me wierd but I do find old cemeteries very interesting.....you can find out so much history. We are certainly very lucky to live in a time of immunisation against such horrible diseases.
Also loved the pictures of the autumn foliage... I really love Autumn.
Cheers Linda :)

Janet said...

gorgeous photos. I'd like to have a walk around town that pretty. This week has been so warm, it's been like summer.

Nanette Merrill said...

love the pictures of trees set against the church. so timeless looking. I is perfect for a sunday. Autumn has some elements of my favorite time of year but really spring is my #1 season. So we are entering that phase here.
Thanks again, It is lovely knowing you.

Di~ said...

Lorraine: I saw the lovely embroidered teapot over at Nanette's. Mmmm I love to do embroidery! Can you tell me where you got the pattern for the stitching?
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

As you progress into autumn we are moving into spring. Here I was noticing the trees beginning to be in bloom and daffodils and hyacinths. I love autumn as much or more than spring but the changes are always welcome. This time of year brings out my desire to clean up my screen porch and once the weather is just right I love my times when I can sit out there in the evenings.

Jo said...

I also saw the lovely stitched teapot - and would love to find the pattern to stitch for my mom.

would you share the source?

Jo

Nanette Merrill said...

Your photos are wonderful. Refeshing to see fall posed in such a beautiful way. Good luck with the scones! thanks

Suzanne said...

What a great history to have a cemetery that old in your area. My Hubby is the caretaker for a neighboring city cemetery...Head stones from the 1860's...very interesting.

Leanne said...

Nothing like a morning walk. I do love that header picture you should have that printed. I love wondering around cemeteries.

life in red shoes said...

Thank you for stopping by little space! Your pics are beautiful, we are now awaiting spring.
I love the fact that you didn't give up on sewing, shame on that teacher! I never finished my 7th grade apron, wouldn't that make a great book title?
Happy fall, Life In Red Shoes

Red Geranium Cottage said...

It just seems too funny to me that Autumn is coming. I say to that....SPRING is coming straight away!!!! :-) Just had to say that for you my buddy Loz!!! Got your adorable quilt and I'll be getting to it straight away. :-) Sorry I'm just now letting you know. Too much going on around here. Back to work in the garage cleaning. we got a huge dumpster and we're trashing stuff.
Hugs

Unknown said...

Really beautiful photos such a lovely time of day .
clares craftroom

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Your photos are lovely. Autumn, oh my. We are trying so hard for spring -- the crocuses are finally coming up and today I saw a daffodil opening.

Word verification: cocaph, the sound that comes out of the daffodil's trumpet