Monday, April 5, 2010

A Gardener's Journal and a great find!

But first....remember the white rabbit? Here is what is left of it.............his friend is still around......one rabbit was quite enough! But I think during the week he might also disappear!

While I was sorting through some boxes in the attic on Friday I came across this........at first I thought it was a doiley but on further inspection I realised it was an apron...too cute!


What a find! ....the embroidery is fabulous.......here is a closer look.........

Late last night I started on the stitchery for the first block of A Gardener's Journal ....the Stitch Along has been just the thing to get me motivated! I decided on the Garden Party range of fabric (from Blackbird Designs) and the stitcheries will be stitched using one colour....#858 Cosmo thread (on a spool)...I am in love with this thread...and it is so easy to use from the spool. I was finding it hard to get to sleep last night so sat up stitching.....gave it away at 3am! This morning after a late start I wandered down the street to get the paper and decided on breakfast at the coffee shop....just because......! After dealing with some mundane household tasks when I got home I cut all the pieces for the Gardener's Journal and made up the block....I haven't finished the stitchery yet....but I am sure I can do that during the week.
So that was the Easter break ....... back to work tomorrow.....it's a short week though so the time will go quickly I am sure.

'Til next time................Lorraine

21 comments:

Darlene said...

What a beautiful apron!

Oh, you've made a perfect choice of fabrics for your Gardener's Journal. Charming Garden!

FlourishingPalms said...

Lovely stuff, Loz! Even the missing bunny lets us know you're enjoying yourself. Your stitchery is so pretty. I too am a fan of Cosmo, though I haven't tried the single strand on the spool stuff yet. I'm sure you'll be wearing that apron soon, but don't spill on it! Too pretty for that.

Jo said...

Love the fabric you have chosen for the Gardeners Journal quilt, your first block looks great.

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

I want that apron!!!
It is a treat to look at. It is a great stitch choice for the basket - chain stitch - fast becoming one of my favourite stitches. Beautiful project that you are working on.

Kris said...

so pretty! love that stuff on the spool! you are smart using 1 colour. i am jealous.

Shay said...

I am a stitchery dunce.

Yours is absolutely gorgeous.

Glad you had a relaxing weekend. I have a short week at work also , but will be trying to cram in all sorts of other things.

Have a great week!

Joy said...

Love that apron Lorraine ... and the stitching is divine!!! What a fab find!!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Suzanne said...

What a nice thing to find in the attic...like your stitching too!

Pip said...

Must be a lot easier using a single strand from a spool, looks like something I should get. If you are stitching till 3am you must have a good light, can you tell me what sort it is. I'm often awake late and think if I had a decent light I could be stitching instead of lying there thinking about it. The embroidery on the apron reminds me of things my Nanna used to make, really lovely work.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

The apron was a very good find...your GJ is looking great Loz, must check out that thread.

Lynda said...

Gardener's Journal is going to be so lovely and that apron is fantastic - such beautiful embroidery.

Shontelle said...

The stitchery looks awesome with the Garden Party. Love it! How's that other bunny? Still residing with you or has he lost his golden coat also?

Anonymous said...

Love the fabric that you have chosen, I find working on a stitchery very relaxing, You always manage to motivate me

Pat said...

Your work is most beautiful and your blog is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. The apron is great. Happy Quilting!

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

what a charming apron,how very beautifuly embroidered, I am a fan of cosmo alos, lurve.. using it!

Sheryl said...

What a find....it is beautiful and in such good condition, very special!...
Love your first block, the fabrics you have chosen are perfect and one colour thread, smart choice...

Unknown said...

Lucky You winning those Gorgeous Fabrics..Nice Apron...your sewing room looks Lovely...You have BEEN Busy.!
cheers

Vivian said...

What should I spy in the "clearance" area of a local store this week but a crowd of chocolate creatures wrapped in gold foil. No white chocolate bunnies-- only dark and milk chocolate -- and they were good to the last bite!
I thought of you and your Easter photos as soon as I spotted them.

Julie said...

ooo yum, Lindt bunnies......my favourite.

Grethe said...

Lovely fabrics for a Garden`s Journal.I just love the stitching part,more diffucult choosing the fabrics :-) Nice apron you have got there. Happy Stitching!

Robyn of Robins Nest said...

Granny Loz, I just love the apron !I also like the Gardeners Journal, I finished the top 3 years ago & when complete there was 1 fabric I didn't like, so I popped it into a tub & under my bed it sat until last year Anni & Pete from Hatched & Patched came to Karens (aka Mrs Martin) shop, the comments made on the night by Anni, Karen & the other ladies there made me go out and get it quilted. It now hangs above my bed and i still don't like that 1 fabric. But I'm a gardener by trade addicted to gardening & patchwork.
I'm looking forward to you returning from your break