Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Binding on ....check.......

I love the Tour (de France)!  I sat and stitched the binding on the Civil War quilt last night while the boys in the Tour raced, fell (or were knocked off their bikes by cars) - whoever said bike racing was dull!! One of the commentators said crashing on a bike at speed could be likened to dressing in only your underwear and then throwing yourself out of a moving car onto the roadway......I tend to think he wasn't far off the mark!

I am pleased it's a rest day today ...I am exhausted!

But the quilt is finished.....and I snuggled under it while I watched the last few minutes of the race.....



Over the weekend I also caught up on some Civil War block of the week blocks.....well...is caught up having them all printed off .......No?  ......well......cut out and ready to stitch....No?  ok........I cut out 7, made up 1 and have 7 more printed ready to cut out.....surely that is classed as caught up....No.......?? Really???? 

There is one step I need to delete from my process to possibly make these blocks happen more quickly...it's the "procrastination" step.....!!  It takes me far too long to choose fabrics - so yesterday I grabbed the CW fabric basket and the CW fabric scraps and went for it....LOL......I think not having colour pics of the blocks on hand was better.....I just chose fabrics I thought would work and got cutting!  So far so good....although only having made up one block using this method doesn't necessarily prove my theory!  Stay tuned. 

I did think about not continuing on with these blocks...but I figured if Barbara has taken the time and effort to offer this as a free block of the week (and also include lots of background info that is really interesting) then the least I can do is make them!  They  go together really easily - once the fabric choice is made!!  I am using left overs from the Civil War Legacy quilt and a few other bits I have collected over the past year or so when I became addicted to interested in the repro prints.

Catching up was the theme for this weekend......Saturday was stitching with the girls at Cheryl's house....and Kris came up to visit as well........haven't seen her in ages since she defected moved to Victoria............and yesterday was spent catching up on housework...washing.....cooking......and of course some stitching!  .......and that was the weekend.....gone again...in a heartbeat it seems! 

'til next time..........................Lorraine

17 comments:

Pip said...

I managed to get to bed early last night as well for the same reason as you - Le Tour rest day :)

I don't feel so bad about not being caught up with my CW blocks now, I too seem to take a long time to choose my fabrics, part of it is the lack of good daylight to see the colours properly (my excuse anyway) in the end I always go with my first choices of colours, so I don't know why I spend all that time agonising.

Sue said...

Binding looks great ... well done on the finish!!!! I love the La tour de France as well and have found myself up late quite often in the last week but managed an earlier one last night since it was a rest day!!
I think you are doing well with the CW blocks ... I had big plans ... have I made one ... errr no!!
Have a good week.
Cheers S x

Nell said...

Oh Lorraine! It looks beautiful! I especially love that it is all in red. You CW girls really do churn out some amazing quilts - can't wait for Jane's exhibition ;)

Lynda said...

So lovely to have something finished and your quilt is beautiful. I've been considering making those CW blocks of the week but they wouldn't be in CW fabrics (none in my stash and I'm NOT shopping for any) - I love reading the stories too.

Nancy said...

wow...I wasn't aware that cars could get any where near to the bikes...yikes...but if I went outside and rode a bike in my underwear I bet I wouldn't be the only one crashing...lol

Love the quilt..such pretty colors..

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I did see the some of the 'mishaps' this morning on the news...talk about rough...love your quilt Loz...

Chookyblue...... said...

so great to have the binding done........fantastic.......

Roseanne said...

I love every think about your quilt and the binding look great.

Leanne said...

It was an impressive summersault into the fence wasn't it. I love binding and the perfect weather to sew it on.

Daisy Jayne said...

haven;t we busy ..... looks great

Shay said...

Wow...that quilt is superb. So is this a snuggle under quilt or a look but dont touch quilt?

Kris said...

Love it! So glad you snuggled under it. I haven't watched any of the tour this year. Waking up at the crack of dawn at Jonas' command makes tour watching impossible! Off home tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Your Quilt looks Beautiful all Binded..know what you mean about Procrastinating...I think we all do that with our sewing from time to time...
cheers

deb said...

Love this color, the color is wonderful!!!!!

Doris said...

This is just lovely! And I really like your new header quotation!

Stina Blomgren said...

What a wonderful CW quilt.. its lovely!! Perfect to snuggle under!! :o)

Karen said...

YUM YUM YUM that quilt is beautiful Loz - I know just how wonderful that quilt would look here at the Farmhouse - shoot it wouldn't cost much to ship would it, lol. Beautiful job peaches - sounds like you had a wonderful weekend :)

Hugs - Karen