Monday, September 2, 2013

so many options (as it turned out)...

Saturday was my youngest daughter's 30th birthday party......she  chose a "themed fancy dress" party......I don't "do" fancy dress parties as a rule, but made an exception for this one.....(as you do)! 

The theme?  Literal band names......hmmmm...I wasn't sure for a while but after some thought it turned out to be too easy !

I wanted something that would convey the band name without too much dressing up, but having said that, I did make a red hot chili pepper costume complete with green felt hat + a stalk .......hmmm....unfortunately instead of a Red Hot Chili Pepper I looked more like a cross between a big red capsicum, a tomato and a weird looking elf...... (and as far as I know there are no bands with names even close to those descriptions..... ) so gave that idea away pretty quickly....besides........worst case scenario and I was in an accident or pulled over by the police -  not sure I wanted to be wearing said costume! 

Back to the drawing board......


Wings.....Rhiannon wasn't sure that was a band name....oh to be so young!

Flock of Seagulls?

Add halo -

The Angels......also a band not many of the age group present would know/remember

then I found these:



the mind was now in overdrive......

Black Crows......Eagles.......Black Sorrows......

But I really wanted to use something that I bought  when I was in the US last year at Halloween .....I mean everyone wants a black veil in their wardrobe don't they......call me quirky (if you like!) I just liked it so it came home with me and I have been waiting for a chance to wear it ever since.......

So .....back to Black Sorrows - but an apprentice at the hair salon on Thursday night suggested....

drum roll...............the Black Veil Brides.......so with the addition of some props - a bouquet and some good luck charms - my costume was complete!  In the absence of any pics of me actually in costume on Saturday night I called someone in to help me with the pic......hmmmm someone wasn't interested.....


So I called on Ted to help me out........


It was a great night and .....the guest of honour went as Queens of the Stone Age and is seen here with her bestie dressed as Birds of Tokyo...on screen is Mark and his GF Terri who made a video in London and sent it over for the occasion since they couldn't be here in person....It was very well done....and funny!!!


The cake from Sugar and Spice was a work of art featuring a 'vinyl record' on top and band names on the side........


Happy 30th Rhi!!!
 
 
'Til next time..................Lorraine


15 comments:

loulee said...

Ted looks fantastic, and I'm sure you did too. :-)
I'd have missed out on the hairdresser and gone as 'splitenz'. LOL

Daisy Jayne said...

I would have had to go as the black eyed peas ..... Rose reminds me of my weekend

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun night loz and happy birthday to Rhi.xx

Susan said...

I don't like dressing up either....but I always have fun when I do. Your costume looks like it would have been great, and congrats for being a Mum of a 30 year old.

thea said...

I'm sure you looked terrific and how fun! (btw, I misread the party theme as "brand" names and was so confused..)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Happy birthday to your baby girl...looks like a fun night, where is the photo of you!!

Leanne said...

I think there needed to be a picture of YOU in said costume. Sounds like it was fun.

Katie said...

Oh dear. I've never heard of most of those bands! :-)

Lenora said...

Looks and sounds like all had a great night.

Sue SA said...

Glad you have had something fun to celebrate after so not so fun health scare. Not that into dressing up either, but wings are cute and definitely a talking point!

Lynda said...

Looks like a great party for a very special birthday. Your costume is terrific.

jude's page said...

I also read it as brand names at first, and have not heard of lots of those bands, but well done on your costume!

Joolz said...

My girls want to throw me an ABBA party for my 50th next year. I have nightmare visions of me in a white satin jumpsuit, singing Waterloo alongside Toni Collette! It will not happen!

Suzanne said...

Great theme for a party!

Jen said...

I love family parties and yours looks fun.I don't think I am a dress up person either but your costume looks great.