Sunday, September 14, 2014

Ballarat and beyond.......part one.....

The Thursday before last I was up at sparrow's fart and on the road ......a little road trip over to Ballarat to visit Jan and attend a workshop with Gail at the Cotton Factory......it was about seven and a half hours on the road ....but it's an easy drive, good roads with lots of passing lanes.....so no one needs to get stuck behind me sitting on the speed limit.......my money is better spent on fun stuff...not speeding fines!  I do love a road trip!! 

Thursday afternoon was spent catching up with Jan - (we did stop to draw breath occasionally) - and organising Friday's excursion!

I slept very well on Thursday night - we enjoyed a lovely unhurried breakfast on Friday morning and set off with blue skies and sunshine for the day out.......

First stop......Creswick Woollen Mill.....yikes! I could have spent a lot of money at this establishment.....well worth a visit....and they do mail order (could be dangerous!)



One of the residents.....


Jan's husband had suggested we give the most direct route a miss and travel via a couple of smaller country towns for a more scenic drive (or was he hoping that more time would be spent on the road instead of in the shops??) .....he was right of course, the more scenic route was just fabulous.......and we still had plenty of time for shopping! Couldn't resist this idyllic shot.....cottage, cows and Spring blossom......


Maldon was the next stop with it's historic buildings and great assortment of shops.......I have visited this town on several occasions previously, but never tire of coming back........

Chocolate anyone????



The old kerbing and drains look fantastic......just have to be careful I don't lose the Jazz in one of these......


The words "much ado"....are usually followed by "about nothing" but this shop, Much Ado certainly goes against that ......beautiful displays......gorgeous things in the displays.....part of the little sewing nook......

 
a set of these baskets came home with me......haven't had time to do anything with them yet, but they are destined for the sewing room.......


We left sunny Maldon and headed for the next stop on our tour - Castlemaine.....where Threadbear was calling our name and I was on a mission to pick up a ladder which I had ordered a few weeks ago.......and here it is......(unfortunately the quilt didn't come with it!)


A little taste of the shop........I love this place......so much inspiration!
 

Kurt was sceptical about the ladder fitting in the car, but the Jazz is nothing if not versatile....Easy!!.....and Jan still got to sit in the front seat on the way home.......I think she had thoughts of phoning her hubby to come and pick her up....but I was confident that wouldn't need to happen.........


Next stop......Millrose at Ballan......I have been wanting to visit this shop for a while, and today was the day.....but we only had a half hour to browse once we got there.....will definitely be visiting again......


Liberty anyone?????


This is just one section of the shop........spoilt for choice!!


We made it home in time for tea - and to get ready for the class with Gail the next day.......I will save that for the next post.........a fabulous day!!

'Til next time................Lorraine

14 comments:

seabreezequilts said...

I need to go in a road trip :(

Jan said...

Didn't we have a ton of fun, Loz! Thanks for your wonderful company.

Susan said...

Would you please come via Mudgee next time and take me with you? What a fantastic trip, great company and gorgeous stores. They are all on my list to visit one day too. Your new ladder is gorgeous, I saw you on the Threadbear blog collecting it.

barb's creations said...

Looks like a lot of fun was had by all, Ballan is a gorgeous place to visit. Do you have a website addy for the woollen mills?? :) Barb.

Lynda said...

Great day out!

Shay said...

Oh my goodness Loz. So much eye candy in one post I dont know where to start ...just going back to have a second look and try to get my thoughts in order.

OK – back...

Your time away looks like you packed something into every possible moment. How big was the woollen mill – its looks massive !

Love the new ladder. Perfect for showing off all your quilty creations. Is the Jazz really a tardis perhaps?

And Threadbare looks like the kind of place you could do a lot of damage to your bank balance. Such lovely things!

Sue SA said...

Great road trip, wish I could have joined you, the loot looks grogeous!

Chookyblue...... said...

glad you girls had fun together...........

Katie said...

Gasp! What an amazing display of fabric! :-)

Daisy Jayne said...

Gee you don't do things by half .... It all looks gorgeous.

Leanne said...

Looks like a fabulous day.

AnnieO said...

I haven't had a road trip in almost three years! Yours looks terrific:). Glad it was a great day traveling those back roads.

Fairy Floss Stitches said...

What a great road trip!.. wish I was with you!
And those liberty fabrics..Yummo!!

Cardygirl said...

Wow! Loving your road trip...looks like lots of fun!