Sunday, November 16, 2014

Back to report on some fun and frivolity......part one

the past few weeks have been crazy busy at work - so no time to stitch or blog - most nights I have been coming home, eating dinner and heading off to bed with the chooks (I think we have been here before, not WITH the chooks, just at the same time as them.....)

This weekend on the other hand was chock full of fun and frivolity - as well as loads of creativity.......

A few weeks ago I booked in for a weekend class at Hetties - a no brainer when I found out who was coming to town!  (this also coincided with Mark's 30th birthday celebrations......)...yikes....my "baby" is 30! not sure where all the years have gone!

The theme for the party was "famous duos"....hmmmm...not being part of a "duo" I was a bit stumped with what my costume might be....but Gail came to the rescue and suggested Dorothy and Toto.....so off to Spotty I went and bought some blue/white gingham (probably enough for two outfits, but what the hey.....) and a pattern to make the outfit......I have to confess at this point I was completely out of my depth and looked at the pattern and fabric for a while before diving in, cutting out pattern pieces and getting started......I haven't sewed clothes since I used to make track pants and jumpers for the kids when they were small....so a while then!  ....but I read (and re-read) the instructions and at the end of the day I had it pretty much done.....some help with the zip from a friend and I was almost ready!  A visit to the local costume shop yielded red shoes, a wig (a new one - wasn't sure about a second hand wig) and even a little basked with Toto in it!  As Alison put it, "Nuriootpa - shopping capital of the world!" 

As I was getting in the car to drive to the party last night I am pretty sure the neighbour across the street took a double take - and it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't really want to have to seek roadside assistance for any reason - yep....just Dorothy out and about with a stuffed dog in a basket...nothing to see here!!

I will leave you with some pics from last night's party and save the workshop with Margaret Sampson-George for another day.......I think both events need their own post!

The birthday "boys"....they have been mates since early primary school and have birthdays a few days apart, so decided a joint 30th was the go.....meet Maverick and Goose.....and I see the usually clean shaven Maverick is supporting Movember!


With the boys going as a double act the girls did as well......although I am not sure about the beer Betty!!


"Sandy" also dropped in to celebrate with her brother.....(I thought the cigarette prop looked pretty authentic.....)


And Dorothy with Maverick and Wilma......



....and with my girl.....er Sandy......


and if you were wondering where Toto was......on the table ...because nobody puts Toto in the corner.......although he doesn't look very happy in this pic ......


after a great night catching up with friends and family all too soon it was time to click these heels together and go home!


I will be back later with pics from the weekend workshop.......

til then........Lorraine


13 comments:

Jan said...

What fun, Loz!

Susan said...

Fabulous fun. I hope Rose liked Toto!

Shay said...

You all look fabulous ! Your outfit turned out perfectly- knocked it out of the park!!

Michelle said...

You all love fabulous! What a lot of fun!
Michelle

Sue SA said...

Great outfits, what a fun dress up theme!

AnnieO said...

Great job on the costume, I've been there at the last minute many times! What fun, the kids looked terrific. Happy birthday to your baby!

Daisy Jayne said...

you look FABULOUS ......

Lynda said...

Great costume! Looks like such a fun night - the best part is checking out all the outfits.

Kath said...

great photos! I love your shoes, did you get to keep them LOL I thought your daughter looked fabulous, I'd love to see Sandy's partner, Danny!
Hope things are quieting down for you now and you are getting some time to sew :-)

Fairy Floss Stitches said...

I didn't recognise you!.. you look fantastic! ..And Sandy is super hot!..some great outfits there.. a night to remember Xx Lea

Unknown said...

That's awesome! What fun!!

Katie said...

What fabulous costumes! Love your duo. Dogs are the best. :-)

My baby is 30 too. How did that happen??? I’m only 39! LOL

Tazzie said...

Oh my goodness! You are all just gorgeous!! And I just wouldn't be me if I didn't say that I'm coveting your shoes ...
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)