Tuesday, June 2, 2020

2020 ...so far...

So almost half the year gone and 5 months into retirement 2020 has been an "interesting" year so far!  The declaration of the Covid 19 pandemic pretty much put paid to any travel plans ..actually any plans at all! An outbreak of the virus among a group of tourists to the Barossa saw travel in or out of the area discouraged so thank goodness for technology which meant I could at least catch up with the kids and grandies  - not the same as IRL but better than not seeing them at all! A bit of online shopping kept Australia Post busy and time in the sewing room kept me busy!  To be honest I quite like the implementation of "social distancing" especially when  grocery shopping!  

A routine visit to the optician in February turned out to be not so routine when I found I had to have cataract surgery - the first one was in early March - the surgery went well, but my eyes didn't work together very well and my distance vision wasn't great so I couldn't drive which meant I had to rely on friends for my sporadic trips to the supermarket and I suffered bouts of vertigo - the second surgery was scheduled for later in March but was cancelled the day before due to the cancellation of elective surgeries - my wonderful optician agreed to open his business to see me and organised glasses so at least I could drive again (not that i could go very far) .....fast forward to late May and the second surgery has  left me with perfect vision!  One happy Granny!!  
Some of the restrictions put in place to keep everyone safer are gradually being lifted so we can travel intrastate and restaurants and pubs are open for small groups. I was able to see the family on Mother's Day and a couple of times since then  which has been brilliant. 

Had  to share  this - my fridge stopped wanting to freeze things so even with the fridge part working fine it was time to upgrade (it has given me 10+ years so it doesn't owe me anything) so ordered a fridge and arranged for it to be delivered 
...they explained that the delivery driver wouldn't be able to bring it into the house because of the virus, yep got all that....so this was fridge delivery Covid style...
as I was asking the delivery driver if he could just push it in a little further I heard the truck start and drive away! 😳 made a quick call to a friend who arrived and (after he finished laughing) pushed it into the house for me and helped me set it up.

A few finishes from the sewing room...
 My  favourite recent online purchase from @redraspberrycrochet arrived just in time for the first day of winter - 
just perfect for cold morning walks with this one....
I will try to post here more often - let's see how that works out 😬

5 comments:

Sue SA said...

Some beautiful finishes, especially love the hexi ball and the sunflower pin cushion. Fancy delivering a fridge to your door?! We had to have the repair man come twice and then buy a new fridge anyway and they came into the house every time after I assured them we were not sick!
Glad your eyes are back to perfect, so disabling not being able to drive or sew very well.

loulee said...

Wow! Sew many things happening and so much to see. You really do have to get back into the habit of blogging.
It's good to see what you have been doing.

Chookyblue...... said...

Omg wow you retired.... How exciting..... Safe travels when you can move again...... Nice to see your sewing......

Lynda said...

Hi Lorraine! You would have been coming here next week - we will have to arrange a visit for another time because I was really looking forward to our time together. Your fridge episode gave me a giggle - thank heavens for friends. So many lovely goodies coming from your sewing room. So glad we can spend time with our families again.

AnnieO said...

Welcome back, Lorraine! I thought I left a comment when you first posted but it appears to have gone to the wild. Glad you are enjoying retirement and stitching fun stuff!