Sunday, January 11, 2015

Out of the abyss and back to normal programming......

Well, as normal as possible at this time of year which is always a little surreal I think.   The weather hasn't helped - it has been hot (low 40'sC) with fires burning in the hills.....then cold (17C) with lots of rain.....so a little bit of a mixed bag there!  I went back to work last week and put the final touches on getting all the ducks in a row for the Australia Day breakfast - it seems no time at all since the last one - which I organised, but didn't go to as I was still at home recuperating after surgery.  How time has flown by.......

The travellers are in Canada, in BC somewhere having a great time!  Thank goodness for Viber, Skype, FB and emails!  It is great to be able to keep in touch a little easier than when I went gallivanting overseas for a year in the early 70's! 

So.....I need to catch up a little......

I had the pleasure of the company of Alison and Chris for a few days after Christmas.....we had a great time and the days passed all to quickly - it was fun to play tourist/guide - I even went to a few places I hadn't been before......

There were meals to be had.....


some shopping......and sightseeing......regular readers of my blog would have seen this view before.....from Mengler Hill overlooking the Valley......this day started out to be overcast and gloomy, but soon brightened up......


No visit to the Valley would be complete without a stop at Maggie Beer's establishment....




Or a winery or two.....the Wild Witch sparkling shiraz seemed appropriately named for Cardy and I.......


Another winery had this fearsome looking character in the tasting room.....very cleverly put together with pieces of scrap iron........just the piece for the living room??


Chateau Yaldara.......



...and on to the lavender farm......



During our tripping around we stopped off at a couple of cemeteries which are always fascinating I think, and can tell you so much about those who have gone before.....

such as this ill fated fellow........."Killed at Adelaide by falling under the wheels of his dray....August 30, 1872 ....aged 21 years on the day he was killed".....


Beautiful, peaceful surroundings.....



 some with a great view like this one ......


All too soon it was time for the travellers to depart and the house was vewy, vewy quiet without them :(  I busied myself with taking down all the Christmas decorations (which took a while!!) and packing them away for another year.  The place looked really bare once they were all down!  A good chance for a good clean/dust and change around!

Not much stitching going on this past week, but I do have to show this cute bag which was part of my Christmas gift from Christine in our online stitching group......it arrived a few days after Christmas and was accompanied by some Lindt choccies...unfortunately, they didn't make the photo shoot!  Christine is a girl after my own heart with her love of red/white!  Thanks Christine!


I did get the stitchery component of the Leanne Beasley project from Stitch in Spring (in September) finished.....it should become part of a bag one day....it was fun to work on the stitchery and I may even just frame it...one day :)


Last weekend I traced this Kathy Schmitz design and finished the stitching during the week.  Today after the usual household chores were completed (why I can't just hang out in the sewing room if there are floors to be vacuumed and washing to be done is beyond me...)

I quite like this  little guy.....


he is one of a "set" .....and with Easter coming up in a couple of months I thought I had better get on with him........

I also spent a fair bit of time in the sewing room organising it a little better (read for that - so I could walk in here without climbing over stuff) ...I prepped some blocks for the Bring me Flowers BOM which was put down sometime last year and wasn't picked up again....so that is on the trolley next to my chair ready to be worked on.....and I won't be  shouldn't be subscribing to any more any time soon until I have caught up with those I already have.

That's about it I think......pretty much caught up now ......Looking forward to the year ahead - should be some fun times coming up!

Oh before I go..........I was reading  Libby's blog the other day and saw this link - what a fabulous idea....something to do on a cold wintery evening - or a hot summery day......and I love the look of the twisted cord!  Now to find the some time to sort and twist scraps!!
 
'Til next time.............................Lorraine

12 comments:

Cardygirl said...

And we had the BESTEST time dear Loz! I have NEVER been on a better or more fun trip! You have put my past tour leaders to ABSOLUTE SHAME!! Trip advisor gives you a zillion star rating!
Miss you heaps dear friend!

Suzanne said...

Wonderful projects and a nice start to the New Year!

Susan said...

Fun visitors, looks like you had a great time showing them around. Good to have some projects sorted to work on.

Sue SA said...

Sounds like a great break was had by all. I am impressed you put off sewing to get your chores done first, I dont do that enough! I like the idea of scrap rope, but definately going to make myself one of those rope covered in scrap fabric baskets this year - so a bit different to the tute you posted. Hope you get some more stitching time soon.

Leanne said...

A very nice start to 2015.

Daisy Jayne said...

Well someone has been busy..... I am exhuasted from just reading the blog ......

Lynda said...

So glad you, Cardy and Chris had such a great holiday. Putting away the decorations is such a huge job.

Your stitcheries are lovely - it's great that you can walk into your sewing room now :)

Deb said...

Lucky Alison being shown all around. Such nice places. Liking the Chateau place. You are such a good tourist guide Loz. That heat is a killer, I don't know how you stand it. Hows things back at work? Have you got a new mayor yet? You have been busy with your stitching. That Leanne's House one is so lovely it will look nice anywhere.
Now that big metal animal thing you met on your travels-yep can just see him in your lounge. lol

Kath said...

How lovely to see blue skies, when it is so grey here in England. I love old cemeteries, I used to spend a lot of time in our large local grave yard when I was growing up. I neer saw anything unusual in that!
I love your stitcheries, the daisies are quite charming.

Chookyblue...... said...

glad you and Cardy had a great time together........

Cathy said...

Great reading and lots of interesting news. I can't believe how blue the sky is in some of your pics!! L Beasley stitchery is sooo involved, great job, and I love Mr B Rabbit!!! K ute!!!!

Jen said...

Hello Loz. Lovely seeing the photos of your trip and your embroideries are pretty. I don't get into the sewing room as often as I like, because I put other things first . Why I don't know!!! Well maybe watching the cricket is one thing!!