Sunday, June 18, 2017

Wow...another post! A road trip...

Last weekend was a long weekend to celebrate the Queen's birthday...a little belatedly since her birthday is actually in April....anyhoo....a long weekend is a long weekend!  I took an extra couple of days before the weekend and drove over to visit my Mum and my sister who live on the Eyre Peninsula....my niece has also recently moved there so there are more family members to catch up with, making the trip even more worthwhile.  Add to family a couple of excellent quilt shops and driving is the way to go - no weight/space restrictions in the car as opposed to flying!  Rose comes with me and settles in and sleeps most of the way with a couple of stops for rest and relief!  It's about 7 hours all up.....I visit the library before I leave and  pick up an audio book or two for the drive and they are excellent for relieving the boredom - Rose isn't a very talkative passenger!

As always it's great to see the family and I am always a bit sad to hit the road home again after the weekend.....

A few pics from the trip.......

I travel through the mid-north on the first part of the trip - it was a cold start with 0C when I left at 7.30am and only a couple of degrees warmer as I travelled through this area......most areas of the State have had little rainfall so cropping has been delayed....this paddock of green was a rare sight.......


There are always plenty of these to share the road with.....(stopping for the train was a good chance to catch one of these in their natural habitat......well apart from caravan parks I think a good number of them are on the road at any one time so it seems like their natural habitat!)

So that was how I spent Thursday......Friday was a tiny road trip - to Port Lincoln to visit first The Patchwork Pear.......




Then it was on to Ruby and Kate.....


This flannel quilt kit may have come home with me......


..along with some stencils and fabric ink to play with....


while I was packing sewing stuff to take with me (why do I always think I will have time to finish loads of projects over a weekend?) I threw in a layer cake - 2016 Regent Street Florals...bought earlier this year from Alex - Alize Fabrics and was inspired by a kit in Ruby and Kate to get the Featherweight out when we got home from shopping - the really good thing about your sister being a quilter is that you only need to take fabric/kits/sewing machine and basic sewing paraphernalia as she has all the other stuff you may need...


the top came together quickly - once we had spent quite a while rearranging the blocks on Marilyn's amazingly huge design wall....very, very handy and better than anything I have here....so here is the finished top bringing a bit of colour to my front garden this morning....


I also finished this scarf - a kit from Judy Newman.....


Of course a visit to Tumby Bay is not complete without walks on the beach with Rose.....sunrise is my favourite time of day, especially at the beach.....






Mind you, other times of the day aren't bad either......









And my super patient girl......who is happy to sit with me watching the sky, sea and birds....especially the birds... 


what........did you say birds??? 


So it was back to work on Tuesday after a lovely long weekend.....

during the week I received some happy mail from Sharon at Patchwork on Parade.... my Primavera quilt was back......this is a pattern from Christine Vlasic - Yarra Designs - you can find Christine on Instagram @cvlasic and her patterns are available from several patchwork shops - I also bought the templates for this quilt by  Meredithe Clark  who has also designed quite a few other template sets ..very handy!!


I am really pleased with this quilt - I used a Tula Pink wideback for the backing and it has given the quilt a lovely soft finish.


Friday morning before work I wrangled the quilt under the Bernina and sewed on a scrappy binding made from leftover strips of fabric used in the quilt (truth be known I could probably make another one of these quilts given that I got a little (maybe even a lot ? ) carried away with buying fabric for it.....starting off with a  lovely selection of florals and shot cottons from Emma at Treehouse Textiles on a visit with Alison and Cathy  - this quilt is a wonderful reminder of a fabulous time with these girls.


The quilt is now waiting for me to finish this blog post and start stitching the binding down....perfect afternoon for it after a foggy start to the day......


tiny droplets of water turning webs into decorative garlands.....



Another weekend almost over ....gosh they go quickly!  Enjoyed a visit from the kids along with Lenny and Ezra after the football yesterday.....love spending time with them all! 

'til next time..............Lorraine

9 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

gorgeous quilts.......great photos......quilt shopping.......family........how good does it get..........

AnnieO said...

What a great road trip. My sister and I sew together but neither of us has a design wall. Your quilt looks very cozy. Wonderful photos--especially love the one with the sparkly sea. I have not seen very many sunrises in the last few years, sunsets aplenty, tho! Have fun with all your new bits and bobs.

Suzanne said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely adventures. The photos are always beautiful.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Ohh--those photos of the rain drops are just beautiful and very interesting--wow!!!
glad you had a nice fun trip--and great projects--
enjoy the moments, di

Sue SA said...

Beautiful photos of landscape. So nice to be able to sew with your sister....and fabric shop!

Leanne said...

Hi Lorraine
Love al your photos, visiting family is always a fun time.

Joolz said...

Such lovely photos! We must get over to that part of the world soon. Gporgeous nature shots!

Tailoring Cutting Software said...

Thanks for Sharing Information to us. If someone wants to know about Tailor Applications and Tailoring Guide I think this is the Right place for you1
Tailor Master Required | Tailor App

Blogger said...

Do you realize there's a 12 word sentence you can communicate to your crush... that will induce intense emotions of love and instinctual appeal to you buried within his chest?

Because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's impulse to love, adore and look after you with his entire heart...

12 Words That Fuel A Man's Love Impulse

This impulse is so hardwired into a man's genetics that it will drive him to work harder than before to make your relationship the best part of both of your lives.

Matter of fact, fueling this influential impulse is so important to getting the best possible relationship with your man that the second you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

...You will instantly notice him expose his heart and soul for you in a way he never expressed before and he will identify you as the one and only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly tempted him.